Sunday, August 7, 2011

the shirt skirt!

so after 2 days of trying and trying to make this work for a skirt for maggie i finally did it!! now i am hooked. it was not easy - at least for me - but once i got everything figured out on my sewing machine it was :)

first i found this idea here, her skirts are below:

after i tried and tried to figure it out by using her post and the tutorial on shirring from - the technique that causes the gathering - it still didnt work. so i read through the comments from here and found one who had figured it out. so i went to her blog and asked her to email me. so we emailed back and forth a couple of times and i sent her a pic of my shotty work :) to ask her if she had any opinions.

she sent me this link.

so i tried again. i took the bobbin area of my sewing machine apart and finally figured it out!

basically these are the things i had wrong:

the needle was in backwards :)
the upper thread was upside down on the spool pin
the bobbin tension was not tight enough

once i figured out everything i made this!

i dont have a before and after of this because i was so caught up in trying to figure this out that once i got it i just started sewing! but this used to be a tank top of my moms. i cut the top part off just below the straps - most of the ones you see out there on blogs come from tshirts and all you do is cut it off below the sleeves. then start sewing. thats it!


No comments: